Monday, July 15, 2013

#1: Baby Names

      Being responsible for naming a child can be pretty intimidating. All of the names that you loved before somehow seem silly and embarrassing now. Baby naming is no easy task, but there are a few things to take into consideration before you make the big decision.

Here's a list of random things that influence my decision making:
  • Does the name suit a screaming baby as well as a grown adult in a business suit? There is no way to know what the future of your child holds so give them a name that is appropriate in all walks of life. You can always give the baby a nickname that is more youthful. Let's take the name Rosemary for example. Rosemary definitely suits a grown woman, but is not as cute for an infant. Establish Rosie as a nickname to better suit your baby.
  • Do you want to tie in any family names or traditions? Some families give their first born boy the name of his father. Although I dislike the idea of corresponding names, there are plenty of people who cherish the idea. A new trend seems to be naming from 100 years ago. Look into the names of your great-grandparents and their parents for inspiration.
  • Are there any letters you dislike? This might sound like a petty question, but the thought of constantly writing an F, Q or P makes me uncomfortable. Sorry Fiona, Penelope and Quinn, but your letters are not for me.
  • Who are some of the people that stick out in your life? Some people like the idea of naming their children after their best friend or mother, but I do not. There are plenty of names that are completely off limits because of past experiences with people who have the name. For this very reason, I will never name my daughter Ashley or my son Thomas. 
  • What names does your spouse or significant other like? Do you share any favorites? My boyfriend loves the name Hannah, but it is off limits for me since my best friend's name is Hannah. The idea of naming a baby after her is not completely out of the question though because of the name Anya -which I love- that actually means Hannah.
  • Think about your hobbies and interests, the season when baby will be born, influential people in history or even the names you gave your stuffed animals when you were little. Sasha kitty and my baby doll Charlie were two of my favorite toys; for this reason these names have a special spot in my heart.
   When all else fails, get out a pen and paper and jot down names you like. There are tons of baby name websites to browse for ideas, some are also offered in app form for your smart phone. My favorites are: Baby Names app from American Baby magazine, BabyCenter.com, and sheknows.com

No comments:

Post a Comment